In this fast-paced and ever-changing world, Girl Scouts has adapted to accommodate the busy lives of both girls and adults. While many associate Girl Scouts with troops, this is now only one way to participate in Girl Scouts. Pathways are opportunities. Pathways are open to both girls and adults, and no one is limited to the choice of only one pathway. As easily as a girl can choose to participate in the Girl Scout Leadership Experience through one or more of the available pathways, an adult can also choose to volunteer within them.
Current Pathways available to girls and adults are:
Troop – The traditional Girl Scout experience, troops often participate in all 5 available pathways as a group. Becoming a troop leader requires 6 simple steps:
1. Register as an Adult member
2. Complete and pass the Volunteer Application process (includes a background check)
3. Identify a non-related co-leader
4. Complete the Online Training, Girl Scouting 101
5. Complete the adult learning course, “Orientation”
6. Complete the adult learning course, “Troop Essentials”
To learn more about volunteering in the troop pathway, please contact our office at 505.343.1040 or GSNMTInfo@GS-NMTrails.org
Camp – Another Girl Scout tradition, Girl Scouts of New Mexico Trails is lucky to have two beautiful camps to call home: Rancho de Chaparral, tucked up in the mountains above Cuba, NM, and Camp Elliott Barker, overlooking the beautiful valley of Angel Fire, NM. The Camp pathway also includes any Day Camps that are put on each summer by one of our council’s great Service Units. To volunteer at camp, contact:
2. Your Service Unit. Scroll down to find contact information for the leadership team in your own neighborhood!
Series – Many of our girls and adults are involved in sports, or another seasonal activity. The series pathway provides the opportunity to fill your “off-season” with Girl Scouts! A Series is a short term opportunity with a specific start date, topic, and end date – examples include: Girl Scout Saturdays, after-school programs, and specialty programs provided through one or more of our fantastic community partners! To volunteer in the series pathway:
1. Clovis/Portales/Tucumcari Community – contact Tera Wong-Williams, Regional Manager, at 575-763-4475 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Northeastern New Mexico (Espanola/Santa Fe/Los Alamos/Taos/Raton) – contact Dara Cordova-Montoya, Regional Manager, at 505-983-6339 or DMontoya@GS-NMTrails.org
5. Anyone wishing to volunteer in the Albuquerque metro area can contact our office at 505.343.1040 or GSNMTInfo@GS-NMTrails.org
Event – Girls and adults love large scale events! These are great volunteer opportunities for someone with limited time – they are a one-stop-shop of Girl Scouting excellence! Some of our council’s favorites include:
Roar & Snore – our annual sleep-over in the Albuquerque Zoo.
The Camporee – our annual council-wide camp-out, full of activities and tradition.
FriendZ & BuddieZ – typically happen biannually in the fall and spring.
Me & My Guy dances – this event happens annually in many of our council’s Service Units
Mom & Me teas – another event that happens annually in many of our council’s Service Units
For more information on volunteering for large scale program, contact your Service Unit Team and let them know you are ready to be part of an event-planning committee! Please scroll down for Service Unit Team contact information.
– Our older girls (Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors) are ready to explore the world! If you have experience traveling, would like to help plan a travel event, are an expert backpacker, or know of any other great way to teach the girls about the world around them, contact your Service Unit Team, and let them know you are ready to explore! Please click here for Service Unit Team contact information.